Wednesday 25 May 2016

Kumara

Last year we grew a kumara in Room 13 and it was incredibly exciting! It just about took over our classroom, it grew so much!

Around spring we split up the shoots and planted them into pots in the greenhouse. We let them grow until the weather got warmer. Next we planted them out in the garden- they grew and grew and grew over the summer!

In Early Autumn the kumara were dug up and what-do-you know? More kumara! Syndicate 2 and Mamaku decided to have a roastie day. We roasted kumara, potato and pumpkin- all from our school garden!

This year we had 5 kumara that started to grow in Mr B's pantry. We gifted one to Te Hiringa, Room 8, Mamaku 1 and Mr McAulay's class at Paroa (Room 7).

We hope they all grow, BUT we hope that ours in the biggest!

Here's the progress so far...

PS. We still haven't decided on a name for our kumara, and I'm pretty sure it wont grow as well without a name! Any suggestions?

Planting Day







So far our biggest kumara shoot measures 6cm. Next measuring day is Friday the 27th! How much do you think he's grown?

WEEK 4 UPDATE!
We have grown to 27cm! Next week we are going to put the Kumi into the sun. We think he'll love it.





17 comments:

  1. Room 7 at paroa school is going to win! :)

    Check out mah blog at: http://samj7.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi its Jaime
    I'm not sure how much I think its grown good luck yours is big but I think ours is bigger than yours our is starting to climbing out of the pot please check out my blog at http://jaimec7.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi i'm Dan. cool to see the kumaras are growing greatly. we have one at our school, it's growing out of its pot. here is the link to my blog daniel4sbk@paroagrey.school.nz later

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow their massive
    but i have bad news
    ours is biger than yours
    our kumara is gonna have 26 babbys and we are all gonna take one home at the end of the year and we're gonna eat it!
    look at my blog to see how big our kumara is

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey good job guys check out our kumra at http://paroagreyrenaes.blogspot.co.nz/
    btw ours is winning.XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi your kumara is big but ours is bigger it is climbing out of the pot we will win but yours could hit a growth spurt ;)
    please check out my blog Amy @ Paroa School

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi guys good job but...our kumara is enormous. The biggest shoot is 590mm long from the soil to the tip. Good luck. Please let us know how big it is.

    Check out my blog http://tessb7.blogspot.co.nz/

    thanks.



    ReplyDelete
  9. hi it's Kaley from Paroa school
    I don't know how much your Kumara will grow.I think ours is bigger and will win unless yours hit a growths spurt.Ours is all most at the roof come check out my blog at http://kaleyc7.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Room 7 is going to win
    check out my blog http://paroagreycaitlanw.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi its caitlyn from paroa you are so lucky to have a garden in your school
    check out my blog
    thanks Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi it's Kaley from Paroa school
    I don't know how much your Kumara will grow.I think ours is bigger and will win unless yours hit a growths spurt.Ours is all most at the roof come check out my blog at http://kaleyc7.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi it is amy at paroa school we are going to win in leas your hits a groth sport ours is nelly at the roth
    chek out my blog at Amy @ Paroa School

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi it is amy at paroa school we are going to win in leas your hits a groth sport ours is nelly at the roth
    chek out my blog at Amy @ Paroa School

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi its Jaime from paroa school
    I don't know how much your kumara will grow.I think room 7 at paroa school will win I think ours is bigger its almost at the roof but yours might hit a growth spurt and climb even taller than ours please check out my blog at http://jaimec7.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.